Chief Executive Officer
Closes: 02 November 2020
Classification: Executive Level 1.4
Salary: $251,027 - $260,803 depending on current superannuation arrangements
Position No: E634
Directorate: ACT Teacher Quality Institute
Advertised (Gazettal date): 09 October 2020
Contact Officer: Kathy McLean, Partner, Fish & Nankivell on 0414 376 698
- Administer the ACT Teacher Quality Institute Act 2020;
- Ensure that the authority’s statement of intent is implemented effectively and efficiently and in line with the government’s education priorities and strategy;
- Lead and manage the day to day operations of the authority in accordance with relevant governmental legislation and policies and the direction set by the board;
- Evaluate and advise the board about the operational, risk management and financial performance of the authority;
- Lead the development and implementation of initiatives to improve the quality of the ACT teaching workforce, the quality of initial teacher education graduates and the collection of teacher workforce data;
- Provide strategic and policy advice on matters relevant to the Institute’s legislated purpose and functions to the Minister, the Board, government and non-government education authorities and education peaks;
- Assure the quality and integrity of the Institute’s teacher approval, teacher education accreditation and teacher certification systems and processes;
- Undertake regulatory actions under the provisions of the Act;
- Represent the ACT government and institute in the work of the Australasian Teacher Regulatory Authorities (ATRA) network to ensure national consistency in teacher regulation, teacher education accreditation and teacher certification;
- Establish productive working relationships with key stakeholders including the ACT Education Directorate, The Catholic Education Office, the Association of Independent Schools, Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership, ATRA and national working groups; and
- Support the Chair to ensure the effective functioning of the TQI Board and its committees.
- The ACT is establishing a new generation of quality leaders at the highest levels of the public sector. We are seeking candidates with a track record in the development, implementation and evaluation of contemporary regulatory frameworks and the ability to provide quality, strategic advice to the Minister and the Board. The successful candidate will have a track record in leading high performing organisations. Outstanding communication, engagement and influencing skills, the ability to build and foster networks across government and education will be key to success.
- The following attributes are considered desirable for the successful candidate:
- A visionary, astute and resilient leader who has a track record in bringing out the best in the people.
- A demonstrated commitment to quality teaching in order to promote excellent and equitable outcomes for students.
- High level intellectual and analytical skills, with the ability to evaluate and report clearly on complex educational, strategic financial and operational issues and to lead and manage the TQI in implementing the Government’s education agenda.
- Proven resourcefulness, a track record of innovation and optimization of limited resources to achieve outcomes.
- Experience in public administration or regulatory roles.
- Contemporary knowledge of national education policy and regulatory practice in order to achieve policy outcomes.
- Experience in information management and utilizing technology to deliver services.
- Commitment to the ACTPS values and signature behaviours.
Career interest categories:
Education, Teaching and Training
Executive and Statutory Offices
Leaders and Senior Management