Clinical Nurse Consultant – Mental Health Short Stay Unit
Closes: 08 June 2020
Classification: Registered Nurse Level 3.1
Salary: $108,237 - $112,691 plus superannuation
Position No: 12192 - 01PV0
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 21 May 2020
Contact Officer: Sonny Ward on email@example.com or (02) 5124 5406
Our Vision: Creating exceptional health care together.
Our Role: To be a health service that is trusted by our community.
Our Values: Reliable, Progressive, Respectful and Kind
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400,000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Four Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Six community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community-based health services including Early Childhood Services, Youth and Women’s Health, Dental Health, Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Services.
Overview of the work area and position
Adult Acute Mental Health Services incorporates the Adult Mental Health Unit (AMHU), the Mental Health Short Stay Unit (MHSSU) and the Consultation Liaison (CL) Team across the Emergency Department and The Canberra Hospital (TCH).
AMHU is a 40-bed inpatient Facility comprised of a 10 bed High Dependency Unit (HDU) and 30 bed Low Dependence Unit (LDU) for people experiencing moderate to severe mental illness. AMHU is a contemporary evidence-based service providing high quality mental health care, guided by the principles of Recovery. The service aims to provide collaborative care involving the patient, their carers and other key services. MHSSU is a low dependency 6 bed inpatient unit in the ED for people requiring extended mental health assessment and or treatment initiation.
It is expected that in this position you will provide high quality advanced nursing skills, leadership and care to achieve sound outcomes for patients. This includes the provision of high-quality customer service to the patients, carers and other staff of Mental Health, Justice Health, Alcohol and Drug Services (MHJHADS). Although primarily responsible for the MHSSU, this position works collaboratively with the Assistant Director of Nursing (ADON) and the Clinical Nurse Consultants for LDU and HDU to ensure optimum service delivery and best practice across the service. In this position you will be required to undertake professional development and supervision; participate in quality initiatives; contribute to the multidisciplinary team processes and uphold the ACT Health Values of Reliable, Progressive, Respectful and Kind.
The Clinical Nurse Consultant is a responsible for providing ward based clinical leadership for the day to day activities in the ward environment.
- Be registered or be eligible for registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Recent leadership experience in a mental health setting.
- Current driver’s licence.
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a pre-employment National Police Check.
- Be registered under the Working with Vulnerable People (Background Checking) Act 2011.
- Comply with Canberra Health Services Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination policy (OMU).
For more information on this position and how to apply “click here”
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services