Clinical Director Emergency Medicine
Closes: 07 April 2020
Classification: Senior Specialist
Salary: $222,205 plus superannuation
Position No: 25547 - 01P4M
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 18 March 2020
Contact Officer: Lisa Gilmore on email@example.com or (02) 5124 7135
Our Vision: Creating exceptional health care together.
Our Role: To be a health service that is trusted by our community.
Our Values: Reliable, Progressive, Respectful and Kind
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400, 000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Three Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Six Community Health Centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community based health services including early childhood services, youth and women’s health, dental health, mental health and alcohol and drug services.
Strong research links are maintained with the ANU, University of Canberra and the Australian Catholic University. All specialties are represented with the exception of organ transplantation. The hospital has well developed post graduate teaching programs. A fully equipped medical library is available on site with a large collection of hard copy and on line journals and textbooks.
The preferred candidate maybe considered for a conjoint position in ANU at an academic level commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. The academic position will be held for the duration of the Canberra Health Services employment and will be subject to regular performance reviews. No remuneration is attached to the University position. The employee will be responsible to the University on academic matters and to The Canberra Hospital & Health Services / Canberra Health Services for clinical/ research matters.
For more information in relation to conjoint positions with the ANU please contact Professor Imogen Mitchell, Dean, ANU Medical School (02) 6125 2622 firstname.lastname@example.org
About our great city, Canberra, Australia’s National Capital:
Canberra is a city with outstanding amenities and excellent housing, educational and leisure opportunities. It is home to national icons and monuments as well as natural treasures. The coast and ski fields are nearby; Sydney is only three hours away by road. For more information on our great city and your future, visit: http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.au/
Overview of the work area and position:
The Clinical Director, in partnership with other members of the senior Emergency Department team has accountability for and manages the operations of the service to ensure clinical, financial and strategic objectives and key performance indicators are met.
The position holder is expected to operate within the Public Sector Management Act (1994), the ACT Public Service Code of Conduct and the professional requirements specified by the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine.
The position will be accountable and responsible to the Executive Director, Critical Care through an Individual Learning and Development Plan.
The Director plays a key role in ensuring that care delivery and clinical outcomes within the service reflect best practice. The Director will be responsible for assisting with developing a positive public profile of the hospital and collaborative partnerships with the community.
The Director has particular responsibility for the management of Senior Specialists, Registrars and other Junior Medical Officers, and for the education and training of medical professionals.
The Director will be expected to be active on the clinical roster in the Emergency Department, and to have demonstrated commitment to the maintenance and further development of skills applicable to the practice of Emergency Medicine and health service management.
Qualifications and experience:
- Registered or eligible for registration as a medical practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner’s Regulation Agency.
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Emergency Medicine and evidence of satisfactory participation in the ACEM continuing professional development program and or equivalent specialist qualifications.
Residence in or near Canberra, or willingness to do so, is considered vital for this key pivotal role in the setting of the Health care system in the A.C.T.
Note: This position is a permanent senior specialist position. The Clinical Director role is for a three year tenure with the possibility of extension in the role.
Please note prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Be granted with their Scope of Clinical Practice through the Medical Dental Appointments Advisory Committee (MDAAC).
- Undergo a pre-employment National Police check.
- Obtain a Compliance Certificate from OMU (Occupational Medicine Unit) relating to assessment, screening and vaccination processes against specified infectious diseases.
Salary, Remuneration and Conditions:
Annual Salary: Indicative total package value of $341,850 inclusive of salary, applicable allowances and 10.5% super.
Senior Staff Specialist: $222,205, starting salary will be negotiated within this band for the successful candidate, depending on their experience and expertise.
Reimbursement of relocation costs may be available if you are the successful candidate.
Medical Staff in the Canberra Health Services enjoy excellent conditions, and our Enterprise Agreement is available at https://www.health.act.gov.au/careers/applying-work-us/enterprise-agreements
For more information on this position and how to apply "click here"
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services
Leaders and Senior Management