Closes: 29 January 2020
Classification: Registered Nurse Level 1
Salary: $67,984 - $90,814
Position No: 29159 - 01NEE
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 13 January 2020
Contact Officer: Asif Zaidi on
(02) 6207 6081
Our Vision: creating exceptional health care together
Our Role: to be a health service that is trusted by our community
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400,000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Four Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Six community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community based health services including Early Childhood Services, Youth and Women’s Health, Dental Health, Mental Health and Alcohol and Drug Services.
Overview of the work area and position:
Canberra Health Services Central Health Intake is responsible for the intake, assessment and referral of consumers wishing to access ACT Health community-based services and specialist outpatient services at the Canberra Hospital. Central Health Intake currently incorporates both Community Health Intake, and the Central Outpatient’s Booking’s Service. The two services are co-located under a single management structure of Central Health Intake.
Community Health Intake is a high volume contact centre providing a single point of entry via phone, facsimile and electronic transmission for consumers wishing to access community based health services. The first point of contact is a team of administration staff who manage bookings and provide information to consumers. The administration team is supported by a nursing team who are responsible for referral support and management of more complex client needs.
The Central Outpatient Bookings Service is the first point of contact for consumers wishing to access specialist consultant outpatient clinics at the Canberra Hospital with responsibility for identifying clinical priority, and supporting appointment readiness through appropriate diagnostic requests.
As a Registered Nurse the role is key in enabling appropriate intake and referral management.
- Be registered or be eligible for registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- A sound understanding of clinical assessment and triage in relation to written and phone referrals.
- Experience in a broad range of settings would be an advantage.
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a pre-employment National Police check.
- Comply with Canberra Health Service Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination policy, (OMU).
This position is required to work business hours Monday to Friday. No public holidays.
How to Apply
For more information on this position and how to apply “click here”
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services