Closes: 10 April 2020
Classification: Registered Nurse Level 3.2
Salary: $122,360 plus superannuation
Position No: 37268 - 01OZN
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 25 March 2020
Contact Officer: Tash Lutz on
(02) 5124 1684
Our Vision: creating exceptional health care together
Our Role: to be a health service that is trusted by our community
Our Values: Reliable, Progressive, Respectful and Kind
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400,000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
- CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Four Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Seven community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community-based health services including Early Childhood services, Youth and Women’s Health, Dental Health, Mental Health and Alcohol and Drug services.
Overview of the work area and position:
The Justice Health Services, Dhulwa Mental Health Unit (DMHU) and the Extended Care Unit (ECU) provides high quality inpatient mental health care to people from 18 to 65 years of age.
The Dhulwa Mental Health Unit (DMHU) is a secure mental health facility that first opened in November 2016. DMHU provides 24-hour, contemporary, evidence-based clinical mental health care for people who require secure inpatient treatment. DMHU provides a therapeutic and recovery-based approach, focused on individually tailored treatment programs to maximise mental health care outcomes for patients. The service aims to provide collaborative care involving the person, their carers and other key services.
The ECU is a specialist mental health facility adjacent to Calvary Hospital in Bruce. The ECU sits within the Stepped Care Model of mental health care, providing medium term residential care for people who require rehabilitation and support to transition into the community setting. The ECU provides a range of contemporary, community focused rehabilitation interventions, programs and services. DMHU offers 10 acute care beds and 15 rehabilitation beds and the ECU has 5 beds for community transition. Both units are managed by the Justice Health Services (JHS) program in the MHJHADS Division. These positions will provide senior nursing leadership for the clinical and administrative operations across both the DMHU and the ECU. This includes the day-to-day management of nursing care and the allocation of human and material resources to ensure the provision of safe, efficient, cost effective, high quality health care services.
- Be registered or be eligible for registration with the National Nursing and Midwifery Board through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Minimum five years’ experience working in a Mental Health clinical role.
- Strong understanding of mental health services and demonstrated advanced clinical knowledge, skills and experience in the area of practice.
- Current driver’s licence.
- Holds or is working towards post-graduate qualification in Mental Health Nursing.
- Experience working within a Forensic Mental Health setting is highly desirable.
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a pre-employment National Police check.
- Comply with CHS Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination policy, (OMU).
How to Apply
For more information on this position and how to apply “click here”
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services