Closes: 11 December 2019
Classification: Registered Nurse Level 2
Salary: $93,151 - $98,728
Position No: 42415 - 01N4R
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 25 November 2019
Contact Officer: Monique Fielder on
(02) 5124 5452
Our Vision: creating exceptional health care together
Our Role: to be a health service that is trusted by our community
Our Values: Reliable, Progressive, Respectful and Kind
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400,000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley. CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Four Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Seven community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community based health services including Early Childhood Services, Youth and Women’s Health, Dental Health, Mental Health and Alcohol and Drug Services.
Overview of the work area and position:
The Discharge Liaison Nurse is a key position in the Adult Mental Health Unit responsible for ensuring that a person’s discharge plan is coordinated and communicated across all appropriate service professionals, cares, significant others and the person concerned.
The Adult Mental Health Unit is part of the Adult Acute Mental Health Services and can accommodate up to 40 people with a range of acute mental health conditions and disorders. Discharge planning commences at the point of admission and identifies with the treating team what is required to promote a safe and timely discharge for the person.
Planning for discharge will be structured around the person’s Estimated Discharge Date (EDD). The DLN role is responsible for ensuring that the EDD is recorded, accurate, meaningful and updated when required. Any variations to planned discharge, including barriers to discharge are communicated to other health professionals and alternatives to treatment, care and discharge planning is discussed and implemented.
The position will work as part of the multi-disciplinary team to deliver quality person-centred care within a recovery framework and improve the person’s experience of mental health services and improve patient flow across the whole of health service.
- Be registered or be eligible for registration as a General Nurse with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Tertiary qualifications or equivalent in nursing and eligibility for membership of the appropriate professional organization.
- A minimum of two years’ experience as a Registered Nurse
- Experience working within a mental health inpatient setting or an environment where the care of people with mental health needs or problems are addressed within a recovery oriented framework.
- Experience working in a Discharge Liaison role in a similar environment
- Hold a current driver’s licence.
Please note prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a pre-employment National Police check.
- Comply with ACT Health Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination policy, (OMU).
- Be registered under the Working with Vulnerable People (Background Checking) Act 2011.
How to Apply
For more information on this position and how to apply “click here”
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services