Closes: 28 May 2019
Classification: Health Professional Level 5
Salary: $118,319 - $133,197
Position No: 43934 - 01JSJ
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 14 May 2019
Contact Officer: Jennifer Elliott on
(02) 5124 3326
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focused on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400, 000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Three Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Six community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community based health services including Early Childhood Services, Youth and Women’s Health, Dental Health, Mental Health and Alcohol and Drug Services.
Canberra Health Services is a partner in teaching with the Australian National University, the University of Canberra and the Australian Catholic University.
Overview of the Work Area and Position
The Finance and Business Intelligence (FBI) Branch is led by the Chief Finance Officer (CFO) who reports to the Chief Executive officer of Canberra health Services. The FBI Branch is responsible for the development and maintenance of budgets, financial management, and for providing strong operational finance and performance reporting analysis across the health service. The five sub-units within the FBI branch include the Financial Management Unit, Revenue and Financial Services, Patients Accounts, Business Intelligence and the Health Information Unit.
The Health Information Service (HIS) provides a range of services including clinical record scanning and management, clinical coding and casemix data generation, patient identifier maintenance, clinical record forms design and managing access to personal health information to facilitate patient care and follow-up, for research, quality improvement, education, and hospital management purposes.
With broad responsibility for over 40 staff the HIS Assistant Director is responsible for managing most aspects of the operations and service delivery of the Health Information Service, including medico-legal release of information, record access for patient care, research and quality, patient identifier duplicate resolution and reception/enquiries. The Assistant Director also has oversight of the record scanning teams, discharge summary liaison and clinical record forms management.
Management responsibilities include staff selection, rostering, training, performance management, workflow monitoring and allocation of resources to meet service delivery requirements and compliance with the organisations risk management and clinical and corporate governance.
- Tertiary qualifications or equivalent in Health Information Management (or equivalent)
- Eligibility for full membership of the Health Information Management Association of Australia
- A thorough knowledge of Australian Standards in relation to paper-based and/or digitised (scanned) health record system requirements is highly desirable
- Previous experience in leading multiple teams within a health information service
- Current driver’s license.
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a pre-employment Police check.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply online via the Health website here.
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services
Leaders and Senior Management