Closes: 31 January 2020
Classification: Health Professional Level 2
Salary: $66,096 - $90,737 *(also an additional allowance of $1,968 - $4,661, for HPO2.5 - 2.9)
Position No: 16939 - 01NPW
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 23 December 2019
Contact Officer: Simon Newton on
Our Vision: creating exceptional health care together
Our Role: to be a health service that is trusted by our community
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400,000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Four Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Six community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community based health services including Early Childhood Services, Youth and Women’s Health, Dental Health, Mental Health and Alcohol and Drug Services.
Overview of the Work Area and Position
ACT Pathology is a division of the Canberra Hospital and Health Service offering a diagnostic Pathology service to the ACT and surrounding region.
The laboratory operates 24 hours, seven days a week, offering a wide range of testing procedures over two campuses. The main laboratory is located at the Canberra Hospital and branch laboratory is located at the Calvary Hospital.
Under the Direction of the Chief Scientist of Clinical Chemistry and Senior Scientist of PoCT the successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring day to day activities of the Point of Care Testing sub-section of the Clinical Chemistry Laboratory are efficiently run. The successful applicant will be required to undertake duties associated with performance of point of care testing across CHS including liaising with internal and external customers, training of laboratory and non-laboratory staff, coordination of EQAP/IQC, analysis of samples, maintenance of equipment, monitoring of supplies, operating PoCT IT software and participation in quality management activities.
- A science degree or equivalent relevant qualifications.
- Applicants must have a minimum of 12 months paid work experience, post-qualification, in a related/relevant organisation/service.
- Experience in the day-day operations of PoCT devices.
- Experience of the quality requirements of a laboratory.
- Experience of working with IT systems for the management of Pathology devices/instrumentation.
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a pre-employment National Police check.
This is initially a six month contract with the possibility of permanency. Out of hours work will be required, depending on operational requirements.
*An employee in ACT Pathology who is employed as a Health Professional 2 and is on the fifth pay point through to and including Health Professional 4 on the second pay point and who meets the criteria in subclause Q16.1, will be paid an allowance. The additional allowance will be $1,968 - $4,661 per annum (paid in equal fortnightly instalments) for HPO2.5 - 2.9 as per the current Health Professional Enterprise Agreement 2018 – 2021.
How to Apply
For more information on this position and how to apply “click here”
This is initially a six month contract with the possibility of permanency.
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services