Forensic Medical Officer
Closes: 15 November 2019
Classification: Career Medical Office
Salary: $154,221 - $183,145
Position No: 18670 - 01MJB
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 08 November 2019
Contact Officer: Anna Brkic, Office Manager on 02) 5124 2185
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400, 000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
* The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
* University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
* Three Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
* Six community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
* A range of community based health services including early childhood services, youth and women’s health, dental health, mental health and alcohol and drug services.
Strong research links are maintained with the ANU, University of Canberra and the Australian Catholic University. All specialties are represented with the exception of organ transplantation. The hospital has well developed post graduate teaching programs. A fully equipped medical library is available on site with a large collection of hard copy and on line journals and textbooks.
Overview of the work area and position:
The Canberra Health Services Division of Medicine provides a range of medical specialties and allied health services. A strong emphasis is placed across all sections on accessible and timely care, delivered to a high standard of safety and quality. This is underpinned by the Division’s commitment to research and training. The Division works in partnership with professional colleagues, consumers, and a range of government and non-government service providers to ensure the best possible outcomes for patients.
Clinical Forensic Medical Services (CFMS) is a locally based well established clinical service that provides forensic medical care to patients from the ACT and surrounding areas. CFMS comprises of Clinical Forensics ACT (CFACT), a contracted medical services to the AFP, Forensic and Medical Sexual Assault Care (FAMSAC), the ACT Health based sexual assault service, and ‘Fitness To Drive Medical Clinic’ (FTDMC). CFMS is a medical unit within Canberra Hospital and Health Services, with requirements and support for ongoing professional development of all staff.
Under the direction of the CFMS Medical Director, the Forensic Medical Officer role is responsible for the provision of a comprehensive range of medical forensic care services for individuals affected by sexual assault and/or domestic violence, persons in custody, police officers, and assessing a patient’s medical ability and/or capacity to drive within the Medical Standards for Licensing and Clinical Management Guidelines.
Qualifications and experience:
* Registered or eligible for registration as a medical practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner’s Regulation Agency.
* Current Drivers Licence.
* Must be eligible to pass an AFP security clearance or the ability to maintain such (i.e no previous criminal history).
* Experience in providing forensic medical services and expert opinions.
* Previous experience in assessing capacity to drive against the Medical Standards for Licensing and Clinical Management Guidelines.
Please note prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
* Undergo a pre-employment Police check.
* Obtain a Compliance Certificate from OMU (Occupational Medicine Unit) relating to assessment, screening & vaccination processes against specified infectious diseases.
Reimbursement of relocation costs is available if you are successful and move to Canberra.
Medical Staff in the Canberra Health Services enjoy excellent conditions, and our Enterprise Agreement is available at https://www.health.act.gov.au/careers/applying-work-us/enterprise-agreements
About our great city, Canberra, Australia’s National Capital:
Canberra is a city with outstanding amenities and excellent housing, educational and leisure opportunities. It is home to national icons and monuments as well as natural treasures. The coast and ski fields are nearby; Sydney is only three hours away by road. For more information on our great city and your future, visit: http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.au/
How to Apply: For further information about this position and to apply, please "click here".
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services