Closes: 05 June 2020
Classification: Health Professional Level 2
Salary: $66,096 - $90,737 plus superannuation
Position No: 19446 - 01PS8
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 20 May 2020
Contact Officer: Susan Bradbury on Susan.Bradbury@act.gov.au or (02) 5124 2510
Our Vision: Creating exceptional health care together.
Our Role: To be a health service that is trusted by our community.
Our Values: Reliable, Progressive, Respectful and Kind
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400,000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Four Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Six community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community based health services including Early Childhood Services, Youth and Women’s Health, Dental Health, Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Services.
Overview of the Work Area and Position
ACT Pathology is a division of the Canberra Health Services with laboratories located at both the Canberra Hospital and Calvary Hospital operating 24 hours, seven days a week all year round. Pathology provides diagnostic and consultative services to medical specialists and general practitioners and their patients in hospital and in the community.
The Microbiology Pathology laboratory is a tertiary facility performing routine diagnostic as well as highly complex investigations in the area of Microbiology.
Under direction, the successful applicant will be required to perform diagnostic procedures, investigation of new methodologies, maintenance and troubleshooting of instrumentation, performance and monitoring of Quality Control and provision of clinical test results.
- A Science Degree or equivalent relevant qualification.
- Experience of one to two years working in a clinical Microbiology Laboratory would be preferable.
- Culture plate reading experience in a diagnostic clinical microbiology laboratory would be advantageous.
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a pre-employment National Police check.
This vacancy is a 12 month temporary contract with the possibility of extension and/or permanency. The successful applicant being recruited must be willing to participate in shift, after-hours work and out-of-hours rosters, and be able to work as the sole practitioner on rostered shifts, including public holidays and overtime as required. Applicants should contact the laboratory for the details of current shifts.
Applicants will be shortlisted on the basis of written application and referee reports. Current curriculum vitae and written referee reports should accompany the applications. Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend a further assessment.
For more information on this position and how to apply “click here”
This vacancy is a 12 month temporary contract with the possibility of extension and/or permanency.
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services