Scientific Officer, Anatomical Pathology
Closes: 05 June 2020
Classification: Health Professional Level 2
Salary: $66,096 - $90,737 plus superannuation
Position No: 26439 - 01PPT
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 20 May 2020
Contact Officer: Mark Koina on Mark.E.Koina@act.gov.au or (02) 5124 2871
Canberra Health Services is focused on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400,000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Three Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Six community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community based health services including Early Childhood Services, Youth and Women’s Health, Dental Health, Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Services.
Canberra Health Services is a partner in teaching with the Australian National University, the University of Canberra and the Australian Catholic University.
Overview of the work area and position:
ACT Pathology is a division of Canberra Health Services with laboratories located at both the Canberra Hospital and Calvary Hospital operating 24 hours, 365 days per year. Pathology provides diagnostic and consultative services to medical specialists and general practitioners and their patients in hospital and in the community.
The Anatomical Pathology Department routinely operates Monday – Friday. It encompasses Histology, Cytology, Electron Microscopy, Mortuary and Administration (medical secretaries).
- Bachelor of Medical Science or equivalent relevant qualification
- Experience of one to two years working in a clinical Anatomical Pathology Laboratory would be advantageous.
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a pre-employment National Police check.
- Comply with CHS Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination policy, (OMU).
This is an expected temporary vacancy for up to eight months with the possibility of extension and/or permanency. The successful candidate may be required to participate in the on-call roster. An order of merit list may be established to fill future vacancies at level over the next 12 months.
For more information on this position and how to apply “click here”
This is an expected temporary vacancy for up to eight months with the possibility of extension and/or permanency.
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services