Closes: 28 May 2020
Classification: Registered Nurse Level 1
Salary: $67,984 - $90,814 plus superannuation
Position No: 31257, several - 01OF5
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 12 May 2020
Contact Officer: Monique Fielder on
(02) 5124 5452
Our Vision: creating exceptional health care together
Our Role: to be a health service that is trusted by our community
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400,000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Four Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Six community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community based health services including Early Childhood Services, Youth and Women’s Health, Dental Health, Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Services.
Overview of the work area and position
Mental Health, Justice Health, Alcohol and Drug Services (MHJHADS) is a contemporary evidence-based service providing high quality mental health care that is guided by principles of Recovery.
The Adult Mental Health Unit (AMHU) is a 40-bed acute inpatient unit for people with acute mental health issues. The service aims to provide collaborative care involving the person, their carers and other key services. The Mental Health Short Stay Unit (MHSSU) is a sub-acute six bed inpatient unit located in the Emergency Department for people requiring extended mental health assessment and or treatment initiation.
At this level it is expected that you will provide, under limited supervision, high quality clinical nursing skills and care to achieve sound recovery outcomes. It is also an expectation that you will contribute to the multidisciplinary team, and support the senior nurses, Clinical Nurse Consultant and Assistant Director of Nursing in change processes. You will be required to undertake professional development, supervision, participate in quality initiatives and contribute to the multidisciplinary team processes.
- Be registered or be eligible for registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Post Graduate Qualification in Mental Health Nursing.
- Recent nursing experience within an acute mental health setting.
- Current driver’s licence.
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a pre-employment National Police check.
- Comply with CHS Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination policy, (OMU).
- Be registered under the Working with Vulnerable People (Background Checking) Act 2011.
Note: This is a temporary position available for six months with a possibility of extension or permanency. This is a full-time position working a rotating shift roster, including night shifts.
How to Apply
For more information on this position and how to apply “click here”
This is a temporary position available for six months with a possibility of extension or permanency.
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services