Closes: 30 March 2020
Classification: Health Professional Level 2
Salary: $66,096 - $90,737 plus superannuation
Position No: 46822, several - 01P5B
Directorate: Canberra Health Services
Advertised (Gazettal date): 12 March 2020
Contact Officer: Craig Kennedy on
Our Vision: creating exceptional health care together
Our Role: to be a health service that is trusted by our community
Our Values: Reliable, Progressive, Respectful and Kind
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400,000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
- The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
- University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
- Mental Health, Justice Health, Alcohol and Drug Services provide a range of health services from prevention and treatment through to recovery and maintenance at a number of locations and in varied environments for people suffering from mental health issues.
- Four Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
- Seven Community Health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
- A range of community based health services including Early Childhood Services, Youth and Women’s Health, Dental Health, Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Services.
Overview of the work area and position:
ACT Pathology is a division of the Canberra Health Services with laboratories located at both the Canberra Hospital and Calvary Hospital operating 24 hours, seven days a week all year round. Pathology provides diagnostic and consultative services to Medical Specialists and General Practitioners and their patients in Hospital and in the community.
The Molecular Pathology laboratory is a tertiary facility performing highly complex time-consuming investigations in the areas of Molecular Microbiology.
Under direction, the successful applicant will be required to perform diagnostic procedures, investigation of new methodologies, maintenance and troubleshooting of instrumentation, performance and monitoring of Quality Control, provision of results and research.
The position being recruited to will participation in shift, after-hours work and out-of-hours rosters. The successful applicant must be able to work as the sole practitioner on rostered shifts, including public holidays and overtime as required.
- A Medical Laboratory Science Degree or equivalent relevant qualification
- Minimum of 12 moths experience working in a clinical laboratory
- Experience of one to two years working in a clinical Molecular Laboratory would be advantageous
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
- Undergo a pre-employment National Police check
- Comply with CHS Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination policy, (OMU).
This is a temporary position available for six month with the possibility of extension and/or permanency. Appointment may be made by written application only.
For more information on this position and how to apply “click here”
This is a temporary position available for six month with the possibility of extension and/or permanency.
Career interest categories:
Healthcare, Medical and Allied Services