Closes: 08 April 2020
Classification: General Service Officer Level 9
Salary: $73,974 - $83,600 plus superannuation
Position No: 30924
Directorate: Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development
Advertised (Gazettal date): 19 March 2020
Contact Officer: Amalie Shawcross on
0401 730 530
Details: The National Arboretum Canberra is seeking an experienced and highly motivated candidate to fill a new supervisor role within its dynamic Horticulture team, based at the Arboretum. The Horticulture Team will operate in two streams, Forests and Gardens – the Gardens team requires a Horticultural Supervisor. The successful candidate will report directly to the Arboretum’s Senior Horticulturalist, and will be responsible for directly supervising, training, coordinating and overseeing horticultural field officers, apprentices, volunteers and other stakeholder groups working within the Arboretum on horticultural projects. With limited supervision, the successful candidate will be required to conduct regular inspections of their relevant areas, including gardens and turf areas; develop comprehensive weekly work programs and contribute to the development of seasonal work programs; and maintain accurate records for planned and reactive works. Good communication skills and digital aptitude are important in this role, the successful candidate will be required to liaise at various levels across a range of areas with contractors, external stakeholders and throughout the ACT Government, whilst maintaining a high degree of professionalism. The candidate will also need to adhere to and promote the principles of Respect Equity and Diversity (RED), Work Health and Safety, and the ACTPS Values and Signature Behaviours to maintain a safe, healthy and fair workplace for all staff. If you are an experienced and passionate horticulturalist, who takes pride in your work and your ability to unite and motivate your team members, we want to hear from you
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Horticulture/Arboriculture
- ChemCert accreditation
- Current driver's Licence.
- MR truck licence
- Plant operator’s licences
- Side by side ATV licence
- Irrigation and water management experience
- WHS/Construction industry White Card.
- First aid certificate or willingness to obtain
- This position requires a pre-employment medical
- Prior to commencing this role, a current registration issued under the Working with Vulnerable People (Background Checking) Act 2011 is required. For further information on Working with Vulnerable People registration refer to - https://www.accesscanberra.act.gov.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/1804. This position involves direct supervision of staff.
Note: Selection may be based on application and referee reports only.
How to Apply: Applicants should respond to the Selection Criteria outlined in the Position Description attached, please also provide a copy of your curriculum vitae, inclusive of at least two referee contacts.
Applications should be submitted via the Apply Button now.