Closes: 14 July 2020
Classification: Executive Level 1.3
Salary: $236,451 - $245,570 depending on current superannuation arrangements
Position No: E493
Directorate: Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development
Advertised (Gazettal date): 30 June 2020
Contact Officer: Daniel Bailey on
(02) 6207 5618
Venues Canberra is responsible for the hosting of events at the Territory’s major venues, being Exhibition Park in Canberra, GIO Stadium, and Manuka Oval; and the management and operation of these venues.
Exhibition Park in Canberra is the largest indoor/outdoor exhibition centre in the ACT and surrounding region, hosting events for businesses and the community. EPIC’s total outdoor space is approximately 71 hectares and total indoor space 10,500 square metres. It hosts over 300 events per year including major events such as Summernats, the National Folk Festival and the Royal Canberra Show; and attracts around 1.2 million visitors per year.
GIO Stadium is an iconic Australian sporting venue which plays host to the Australian Rugby Union team, ACT Brumbies and the National Rugby League team, Canberra Raiders. With a seating capacity of 25,000, it also hosts a number of international and community events, as well as providing first-class function and conference facilities. Events held at the venue include, the international rugby union; international rugby league; Asian Cup football tournament; and concerts Keith Urban; and Elton John.
Manuka Oval is the premium sporting venue in Canberra for cricket and Australian Rules Football. Manuka Oval has a seating capacity of 13,550 people and an overall capacity of 16,000 people. Events held at the venue include, One Day International cricket matches; Cricket World Cup tournament; Prime Minister’s XI cricket; and GWS Giants AFL matches.
Reporting to the Executive Group Manager, Property and Venues, the Executive Branch Manager, Venues Canberra is responsible for activities which include:
- Maximising the commercial returns to the ACT Government from its investment in each of the venues
- Exploring and establishing new business opportunities, and continuing to promote each of the venues for financially viable national and international events
- Continuing to seek new events to the Territory’s venues to support economic growth and diversification, liveability and social inclusion
- Providing high level strategic and operational advice to Ministers, the Under Treasurer, Deputy Under Treasurer and the Executive Group Manager, Property and Venues
- Ensuring the safe and accessible operations at all venues, in compliance with the Work Health and Safety Act, 2010 and taking into account threat environments
- Planning and managing capital works development for each of the venues
- Promoting appropriate community usage at each of the venues
- Leading the day-to-day operations for each of the venues
- Driving and implementing environmentally sustainable measures at each of the venues
- Leading continued stakeholder consultation
- Leading and supporting the development of a work environment where performance management contributes to continuous improvements in the event and venue industries and the ACT Public Service
- Leading and driving continuous improvement to enhance visitors’ experience at each of the venues
- Representing the ACT Government on national and international venue industry issues
- Cooperating and working closely with other areas within the Directorate and the ACT Government
Ensuring Venues Canberra meets public sector requirements for probity, integrity, ethics approval, sound budget and financial management practices and appropriate use of resources.
Remuneration: The position attracts a remuneration package ranging from $236,451 to $245,570 depending on current superannuation arrangements of the successful applicant. This includes a cash component of $182,388.
Contract: The successful applicant will be engaged under a performance based contract for a period of up to five years. Prospective applicants should be aware that details of long-term engagements are tabled in the ACT Legislative Assembly.
How to Apply: Applications should include a statement of claims against the Selection Criteria, a Curriculum Vitae and the contact details of two referees.
Applications should be submitted via the Apply Now button below.