Director Biosecurity and Rural Services
Closes: 31 March 2023
Classification: Senior Officer Grade B
Salary: $135,355 - $152,377 plus superannuation
Position No: 41921
Directorate: Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development
Advertised (Gazettal date): 17 March 2023
Contact Officer: Chris Glennon on Chris.Glennon@act.gov.au or (02) 6205 9023
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE BRANCH
Biosecurity and Rural Services is a section within the Resilient Landscapes Branch that provides technical expertise and coordinates programs across government on biosecurity, rural land management and livestock production, invasive species and over-abundant native species population management. The unit is the area responsible for biosecurity response for new biosecurity pest incursions within the ACT. We provide strategic, policy and technical expertise and coordinates programs across government on biosecurity, rural land management and livestock production, vertebrate pests, invasive plants and kangaroo population management. It also provides a licensing and compliance function across the Service.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE ROLE AND ITS REQUIREMENTS
As the Senior Manager of Biosecurity and Rural Services Unit, under broad direction:
- Manage the Biosecurity and Rural Services team (5 direct reports 17 total staff) to deliver agreed outcomes on time and within budget;
- Oversee the development and co-ordination of multiple programs for:
- the delivery of rural programs to support a sustainable rural industry sector in the ACT, achieve off reserve conservation objectives and balance environmental protection with sustainable agriculture;
- invasive species control (pest plants and animals);
- Animal and plant health surveillance and extension programs;
- the implementation of overabundant wildlife (principally kangaroos) population management programs across ACT Nature Reserves and on ACT Rural lands consistent with relevant Management Plans.
- Maintain a plant disease and pest plant and animal biosecurity emergency response capability.
- Provide advice and input to proposals in relation to resource management issues, asset protection and conservation management activities.
- Oversee the management of the Horse Holding Paddocks contract.
- Represent the Directorate and the Branch as required to establish, develop, and maintain positive relationships with key external bodies including ACT Government agencies, community groups, rural community and commercial enterprises.
- Liaise with PCS and other Directorates to coordinate and cooperate in achieving, jointly, the objectives of the Branch.
- Be capable of leading an initial biosecurity emergency incident (have a minimum of AIIMS training)
- Ability to liaise with multiple stakeholders (both internal and external) on varied subjects.
Note: This is a temporary position available from 17 April 2023 until 29 May 2023. The successful applicant may be selected based on application only. This position is available to ACT Government officers and employees only.
How to Apply: Expressions of interest are sought from potential candidates and should include a supporting statement of no more than two (2) pages addressing the selection criteria and a current Curriculum Vitae.
Applications should be sent to the Contact Officer.
This is a temporary position available from 17 April 2023 until 29 May 2023.
Career interest categories:
Administration and Governance
Leaders and Senior Management